Session Victim demonstrate a charming disregard for the boundaries of house music, and unleash an unparalleled energy behind the decks. This pair of devoted vinyl DJ’s from the small town of Lüneburg in Germany delve and dabble into everything from Disco to Soul to Hip Hop and back again, stamping their wild personalities on every performance, leaving a crowd of smiling faces in their path.
The late James Brown aside, you won’t find anyone with a more visceral connection with soul than Session Victim in the midst of a DJ set. Their live set pitches the energy levels up even further, the frenzied head banging of two friends jamming like their lives depend on it, now a signature scene.
Since the success of their bedroom-produced debut LP took them a little by surprise in 2012, Hauke Freer and Matthias Reiling have formalised their ad hoc studio jams and fanatical sampling sessions into something resembling a schedule. Besides that, refreshingly nothing much has changed about the friendship spanning two decades and a regular Hamburg to Berlin studio exchange.
With their record collections spanning several decades of hip hop, funk and soul as well as frequently vinyl-only house and techno selections, it’s their passion for uncovering dusty vinyl treasures and the soul that can be captured on a miniature moment in wax that inspires both their DJ sets and production environment.
Session Victim Top 10 April 2017:
01. Eric Lau – Open Up (First Word)
02. Soulphiction – The Ingredients (Philpot)
03. Jimmy Rouge – Pembe (Jimmy Rouge Edit) (Orange Tree Edits)
04. Jay W. McGee – Perfection (Legere)
05. Arthur Verocai – Presente Grego (Mr Bongo)
06. Fold – Mill’s Theme (On Loop)
07. Calibre – Groove Seeker (Nothing Special)
08. Henry Wu & Banton – 2011 (Sound Of Speed)
09. Hauke Freer – Reach Out (XK Records)
10. Teddy Pendergrass – The More I Get The More I Want (Classic NYC 12 Mix) (East End)