Max Cooper has carved a unique position for himself as an artist mixing emotional dance floor experimentation with fine art sound design & stunning visuals. Born in 1980 and raised in Belfast, Cooper has spent the better part of the last decade crystallizing his complex yet melodic techno sound, since his impressive run of singles dating back to 2007. His debut album Human, which featured stunning vocal contributions from Kathrin DeBoer and Braids’ Raphaelle Standell-Preston, was a sweeping and cinematic work that employed aggression and nuance in equal doses; his second proper full-length, Emergence represents a new high water mark in the London producer’s already impressive career. An emotive document merging club-ready techno and shimmering electronic ambiance, Emergence takes cues from the natural world around us to forge its own universe – a kinetic environment in which every little thread is easily felt.
Max Cooper’s contribution to BBC’s long-running Essential Mix series both showcased his excellent curatorial taste and contextualized his striking sound amidst his peers. Max has also collaborated with contemporary classical composers Michael Nyman and Nils Frahm.
Max Cooper Top 10 January 2017:
01. Barker and Baumecker – Nocturnal (Ostgut Ton)
02. Christian Löffler – Silk (Ki Records)
03. Letherette – Shanel (Ninja Tune)
04. Max Cooper – Trust (Kimyan Law Remix) (Mesh)
05. Artificial Intelligence – Nobody (Integral Records)
06. Joe Farr – No Secret (RAAR)
07. Rob Clouth – The Smallest Measurable Space (Leisure System)
08. Para For Cuva And Senoy – Sacred Feathers (Project Mooncircle)
09. John Tejada – Therapy 4 (Original Mix) (Palette Recordings)
10. Aim – Cold Water Music (Grand Central Records)