Anyone who followed the development of house music made in the USA in the last decade will certainly have met the art of Fred Peterkin aka Fred P aka Black Jazz Consortium. Since a while the New York City native that is working on his very own music for almost 20 years is on everyone’s lips as he is releasing some of the gentlest soul infiltrated four-to-the-floor house creations you can get. His musical set phrase isn’t new or special as he is often simply melting shuffling percussions with elementary melodies. But he does it in a sense that the heavy used and abused phrase “deepness” finally gets a fresh truthfully new meaning.
As a man who danced in his younger years in legendary NYC clubs like the Red Zone, Sound Factory or Tunnel to dj sets of larger-than-life selectors like David Morales, Frankie Knuckles or Danny Tenaglia, he learned that sometimes less is more. And that he should rather listen to his heart and soul, then to the susurrus of the music market. That is why you can call his house music journey music, music to travel. Sometimes it is an introspective and meditative journey sometimes an inspirational and lively one. It always stays visionary while using simple codes to transform his inner voice into rhythms and melodies.
Most of the eps and albums that he produced as Fred P or Black Jazz Consortium have been released via his very own label Soul People Music, which exists since ten years. As Fred P he also dropped 12inches on Jus-Ed’s Underground Quality imprint as well as on Toshiya Kawasaki’s Mule Music label. For the latter he released another album under the moniker of FP-Oner that is listening to simply title “6”. It is the second part of a trilogy that features his detailed sonic landscapes that are full of mystery and power. While his last FP-Oner album “5” was leaning more to the jazzier, relaxed and atmospherically side of his artistically deep house expressions, the runner-up grinds even deeper into spherical worlds that enhance deep meditative highs. [ photo © Marie Staggat ]
Fred P Top 10 January 2017:
01. Fred P – Way Of The Vibe (Boards)
02. Levon Vincent – Berlin (Novel Sound)
03. Theo Parrish feat. Waajeed & Duminie Deporres – Gentrified Love Part 2 (Sound Signature)
04. AYBEE – The Heart Of The Sun (Deepblak Recordings)
05. Ron Trent – Electric Moods & Long Play (Music And Power)
06. Jay Daniel – Broken Knowz (Ninja Tune)
07. Fred P – Trust (Secretsundaze)
08. Session Victim – See You When You Get There (Delusions Of Grandeur)
09. Untitled Gear – White Nite (Sounds Of Beaubien Ouest)
10. Arttu/Mr Ho/Rushmore/Alden Tyrell – Trak Madnezz (Clone Jack For Daze Holland)