New reissue on the E'thiopiques series. Featuring the hit singles of the Ethiopian musical scene of 1972. Reissue of the impossible to find orginal LP. Includes one unreleased track, never released on the e´thiopiqes CD series. After releasing around fifty 45 rpm singles and his first 33 rpm album Amha Esthe`te´ set about compiling his best 45s on a series of now legendary albums (the originals are impossible to find) in 1972. The first four volumes of ‘Ethiopian Hit Parade’ were released in September and October 1972, with the fifth volume appearing in January 1973. An audacious, funky outlaw, a music lover and an entrepreneur in tune with the baby- boomer generation, young Amha Esthe`te´ (he was only twenty-four when he launched his label) will be remembered as the instigator of a peaceful revolution thick with soul and rock’n’roll.
The opening track of the first compilation is highly symbolic. “Addis Abeba be´te´” (Addis Abeba is My Home) is an exuberant and light-hearted hymn (“Running into you was a dream, but where can I meet you properly?”) whose life-affirming message is still relevant today for people living in the Ethiopian capital.
The other tracks on this first volume celebrate such pioneers of modern Ethiopian groove as Girma Be`ye`ne`, Seyfu Yohannes, Te`shome` Meteku, Menelik We`snatche`w, Mulatu Astatq and Muluken Melesse, alongside “tradi-modern” singers representing Amhara (Essatu Te`sse`mma) and Oromo culture, so rich and so long marginalised (Abbe`be` Te`sse`mma and Ge`me`tchu Itana).
1. Alèmayèhu Eshèté & All Star Band - Addis Abèba Bété
2. Girma Bèyènè - Sét Alamenem
3. Gemetchu Itana - Shèmèrmari Tiya
4. Sèyfu Yohannes & Soul Echos Band - Tezeta
5. Abaynèh Dèdjèné - Yèbèrèha Lomi
6. Tèshomè Meteku - Gara Ser Nèw Bétesh
7. Menelik Wèsnatchèw & The Ashantis - Asha Gèdawo
8. Muluqèn Mèllèssè & All Star Band - Hédètch Alu
9. Mulatu Astatqé - Yèkèrmo Sèw
10. Essatu Tèssèmma - Ayamaru Eshèté
11. Abbèbè Tèssèmma - Ashasha Bèyèw Available from 16.12.2016