Galletas Calientes Records proudly present the “Palenque Records
AfroColombia Remix” series. Since the mid 90’s, Palenque Records
have been actively promoting the Afro-Colombian music and
culture. Palenque Records’ original artists, such as Son Palenque,
Abelardo Carbono, Sexteto Tabala, Batata y Su Rumba Palenquera,
Colombiafrica The Mystic Orchestra, are living testimonies of how
much Africa has influenced traditional music in Colombia. They
have developed a remarkable culture, collaborating with African
musicians such as Diblo Dibala or Bopol Mansiamina. Most of them
are considered to be the precursors of “Champeta”, a unique musical
genre setting its roots in the West-African Soukous and folklore.
This music is the origin of the very interesting “picó” culture of the
Caribbean coast of Colombia.
The Afro-Colombian legacy is also represented by other artists such
as Gualajo, known for their marimba playing skills, typical instrument
of the “Currulao” music from the pacific coast of Colombia. The
purpose of this remix series is to pay a tribute to Palenque Records
who are celebrating 20 years of musical activism in 2016, by
releasing some versions of the original songs, produced by the finest
artists from today’s worldwide “Global bass” scene.
Remixes and edits from Dj Sabo (U.S.), Rafael Aragón (FR), Motin
(DE), Ghetto Kumbé (CO), and Solo Moderna (NL) are featured on
this first volume.
Notice the colourful sleeve, originally hand painted by William “El
Maestro” Gutierrez, one of the most renowned “pico” sound-system
visual artists from Barranquilla Colombia.
1. Bopol Mansiamina & Justo Valdez de Son Palenque - Kumina
(Solo Moderna Remix)
2. Sexteto Tabala - Maria Palo (Motin Remix)
3. Son Palenque - A Pila El Arroz (Ghetto Kumbé Afro-Rework)
1. Gualajo - Patacore (Dj Sabo Remix)
2. Viviano Torres - Mini Kusuto (Rafael Aragon Remix)
• Galletas Calientes Records has been promoting modern and
avant-garde music from Colombia for over five years
• Collaborated with emerging talents or confirmed such as
Systema Solar, Meridian Brothers, Pirañas, Carmelo Torres y
Los Toscos, Papaya Rebublik, Palenke Soultribe, La MiniTK
Del Miedo and others.
• Teamed up with the most upward thinking label in terms of
Afro-Colombian music, that is Palenque Records.
• Palenque Records are celebrating 20 years of musical
activism Available from 18.11.2016