Originating in Belgium at the tail end of the 1960s and into the 70s, Popcorn was a music and dance scene with an emphasis on often obscure black American records of the then recent past. Drawing immediate parallels with the UK’s Northern Soul scene from approximately the same time, young people would flock from all corners of Belgium to cram into a converted farmhouse barn to dance to these exotic sounds. But whilst Northern favoured an often uptempo, stomping 60s soul sound, popcorn focused almost entirely on slower, moodier numbers.
In recent years, collectors and DJs into vintage soul and R&B have been tuning into the Popcorn style – yet there still remains some confusion as to what exactly Popcorn means in musical terms. Not following established genre conventions, The Popcorn sound is hard to pin down – there are Soul, Blues, Ska, Pop, Jazz and Latin records which are all Popcorn – and all are represented here.
Whilst the sound has caught the attention of many forward thinking DJs, the origins and background of the Belgium Popcorn scene remain little documented. With sleeve notes from original Popcorn insider Gerd De Wilde and his contacts within the original Belgium Popcorn scene, this album looks to change that. Along with never previously published vintage flyers and photographs and combined with the 24 tracks of heady, intoxicating R&B, Blues, Soul and Jazz, ‘Follow Me To The Popcorn’ is almost certainly the fullest document yet of the important, influential and yet so often misunderstood Belgium Popcorn scene.
01. Little Jimmy Ray – You Need To Fall In Love
02. Dolly Lyon – In The Palm Of Your Hand
03. A Plas Johnson – Downstairs
04. Sam Fletcher – I’d Think It Over
05. Lilian Vines – I Dreamed About My Baby Last Night
06. Haywood Henry – Buck-De-Hoodle
07. Page Boys – Barricuda
08. Shorty Long – Burnt Toast & Black Coffee
09. Johnny Guitar Watson – Wait A Minute Baby
10. JJ Jones – Harlem Nocturne
11. Al Brown & his Tunetoppers – Sweet Little Love
12. Barbara Simpson – Waiting for my Baby Baby
13. Harvey – Any Way You Wanta
14. Bellino – Boss Bossa Nova
15. Ki Ki Page – Big Boy
16. Linda Willoby – Big Boy You’re Through
17. Bobby Hendricks – I Want That
18. Dinah Shore – Scene Of The Crime
19. Earl Grant – Fever
20. Gloria Grey – It’s a Sweet World
21. George Barnes – Spooky
22. Dav Kipp – Yea! My Baby Loves Me
23. Dimples Jackson – Love Came Tumbling Down
24. Monty & the Cyclones – Summertime
The compilation Various “Follow Me To The Popcorn” (Jazzman) is going to be released September 9, 2016.