Plain Speaking is the lucid new release by Scallops Hotel, the candid
alter ego of Chicago poet and producer Milo. A robust introduction
for his new label imprint Ruby Yacht, the album blends experimental
production and endearing beats with open, honest rhymes. Plain
Speaking is profound yet accessible, a solid handhold to grasp onto
amidst the chaos of the modern world. Easy yet serious, lighthearted
and sincere, Plain Speaking immediately draws the listener inward.
The album’s first single “Lavender Chunk” -- featuring Hemlock
Ernst a.k.a. Samuel T. Herring of Future Islands -- leans back into
a simpler time, remembered like a hazy dream. Slanting darker and
submerged inside echoes, “Tense Present” flips from contemplative
flow into a stream of comforting clarity. “True Nen” is a thoughtful
track that breathes deeply, an offering of assurance over discord.
Plain Speaking is a remedy, the cure for the common conversation.
The familial tones and straightforward flow of Scallops Hotel function
like an outstretched hand. Plain Speaking never pushes, rather it
invites you to sit and listen. To have hope, and to heal through art.
1. Gnosis, Black Nationalism, Rice
2. Sabil’s Lullaby
3. Lavender Chunk (feat. Hemlock Ernst)
4. Ticktocker (Henry Dumas’ Words)
5. Tense Present
6. Roc Marciano Riff Suite 1
7. Glottal Stop (feat. S.al)
8. Bookoo Bread Co
9. The Oprah Winfrey Show
10. True Nen
12. 171: Man And The Cosmos (feat. DUNZO DONALDS)
• Plain Speaking is the lucid new release by Scallops Hotel, the candid alter ego of Chicago poet and producer Milo.
• The album blends experimental production and endearing beats with open, honest rhymes
• Limited first pressing
• Includes lyric sheet Available from 16.09.2016