Celebrating the 90th birthday of the legendary Miles Davis. MILES AHEAD - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack explores the breadth and depth of Miles Davis' musical innovations, combining 11 highlights from the legendary trumpeter/composer/bandleader's Prestige and Columbia Records catalogs with original new compositions written and performed by Grammy Award-winning jazz/hip-hop artist Robert Glasper. Select new tracks on the soundtrack album include guest appearances by Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, rapper Pharoahe Monch and more. Both the CD and LP packages for MILES AHEAD - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack feature revelatory new liner notes penned by Don Cheadle.
''We culled the library for every style Miles touched...looking for cues to bridge key moments, bring others into focus. The stuff a good score is supposed to do. Miles made it easier. His music is multi-faceted and score friendly,'' wrote Cheadle in his notes.
For new and future fans, MILES AHEAD - Original Motion Soundtrack provides an ideal introduction to the music of Miles Davis. For seasoned aficionados of the influential 20th century musical pioneer, the album and film provide fresh perspectives and new insights into Miles' transformative musical and cultural genius.
MILES AHEAD - Original Motion Soundtrack features 11 essential tracks spanning 1956 to 1981, select dialogue from the film featuring Cheadle in character, and five original compositions written, co-written, produced or performed exclusively for MILES AHEAD by Robert Glasper. These include ''What's Wrong with That?'' (a jam that closes the movie imagining Cheadle as Miles playing in the present day with guest performers Glasper, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Gary Clark, Jr. and Esperanza Spalding and Antonio Sanchez) and ''Gone 2015,'' an end-credits song featuring guest verses from rapper Pharoahe Monch.
The 2016 SXSW Festival in Austin, TX will premiere the long-awaited, critically acclaimed feature film ''MILES AHEAD'' on Wednesday, March 16th at 8:00pm at The Paramount Theatre.
A special ''MILES AHEAD'' panel led by Don Cheadle, with NPR's Felix Contreras onboard as Moderator, will discuss the making of the film, along with the music, with intimate behind-the-scenes anecdotes provided by Erin Davis (son of Miles) and Vince Wilburn, Jr. (nephew of Miles). Additional panelists include Robert Glasper, who scored the film's soundtrack, Oscar-winning supervising sound editor, re-recording mixer and sound designer Skip Lievsay, and Keyon Harrold, a sought out trumpeter/producer/arranger/songwriter who performs with GRAMMY-winning group D'Angelo and The Vanguard, and is featured as the trumpet sound of Don Cheadle playing Miles Davis. The panel will take place on Thursday, March 17 at 12:30pm in ACC Room 18ABC, and will be open to Music, Film, Platinum and Gold badges, as well as Showcasing Artist wristbands.
MILES AHEAD Film Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssfTNCTVT5U
Double LP, black standard weight vinyl, gatefold jacket, no inserts
1. Miles Ahead
2. Dialogue: ''It takes a long time...'' (*)
3. So What
4. Taylor Made - Taylor Eigisti
5. Dialogue: ''Listen, you talk too goddam much...'' (*)
6. Solea (excerpt)
7. Seven Steps To Heaven (edit)
8. Dialogue: ''If you gonna tell a story...''(*)
9. Nefertiti (edit)
10. Frelon Brun
11. Dialogue: ''Sometimes you have these thoughts...''(*)
12. Duran (take 6) (edit)
13. Dialogue: ''You own my music...''(*)
14. Go Ahead John (part two C)
15. Black Satin (edit)
16. Dialogue: ''Be musical about this shit...''(*)
17. Prelude #II
18. Dialogue: ''Y'all listening to them...?''(*)
19. Junior's Jam – Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Marcus Strickland
20. Francessence – Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Elena Pinderhughes
21. Back Seat Betty (excerpt)
22. Dialogue: ''I don't like the word jazz...'' (*)
23. What's Wrong With That? - Don Cheadle, Robert Glasper, Gary Clark, Jr., Herbie Hancock, Keyon Harrold, Antonio Sanchez, Esperanza Spaulding, Wayne Shorter
24. Gone 2015 – Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Pharoahe Monch
(*) from the soundtrack of the film, Don Cheadle as Miles Davis
All other tracks performed by Miles Davis, except where notedAvailable from 08.07.2016