Double CD collection of tracks released on Permanent Vacation in the past few years and forthcoming single releases. Including productions by Sally Shapiro, Lullabies In The Dark, Panthers, Woolfy vs Projections, Lexx, Steve Yanko, Good Guy Mikesh & Filburt and others. Plus remixes from Hercules & Love Affair, Todd Terje, Holy Ghost!, Superpitcher, Tensnake, and Brennan Green.
A lot has happened since the disco ball started spinning in Munich discotheques in the 1970s for the first time. Thirty years later, its motor has gained new drive and the ball is spinning faster than ever. Partly responsible for this renaissance is the Munich label: Permanent Vacation.
Founded by Tom Bioly and Benjamin Fröhlich during the Summer of 2006, Permanent Vacation has not only survived in the obscure jungle of modern dance music, but has established itself as a flagship of the disco movement and its variations such as balearic, cosmic, krautrock or protohouse, all of which have become extremely popular on all continents. However, Bioly and Fröhlich don’t consider disco as mere retro phenomenon (even though there shouldn’t be a lack of authenticity), as they have their home and base in Munich – the city that, along with New York, shaped the early days of disco. Bioly and Fröhlich rather deem disco a form of mentality dissolving from all too fixed and earnest paradigms of dance music and the undercooled sound aesthetics of the electronic scene, promising warmth, playfulness and fun again. What else should partying be about?
Bioly, who had been working in the music business for several years bringing the necessary know-how for the foundation of the label, met Fröhlich, who had been busy DJing and organizing parties, in the record store play-records also run by Fröhlich. Tom Bioly was a regular at the record store. They got friends and found to have a similar taste of music. The label name Permanent Vacation is also reflected in the foundation process, whose concept was rather developed during games of ping pong than at an official conference table. Finally, the starting signal for the label marked the compilation of the same name, “Permanent Vacation”, which was celebrated as “razor-sharp, pulsating, pornographic, all fuses opening crazy pop” by Germany’s leading daily newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung. Many tracks featured on the compilation in the mean time have become classics of the genre.
Now it’s time for the next chapter: Please welcome to the new label compilation “Selected Label Works Nr 1″!
01. Iridium – Lullabies In The Dark
02. Balearic Incarnation (Todd Terje’s Extra Doll Mix) – Dølle Jølle
03. I’ll Be By Your Side (Tensnake Remix) – Sally Shapiro
04. Code 7429 – Lullabies In The Dark
05. Song For Marie And Elise (Aeroplane Remix) – Lullabies In The Dark
06. Goblin City (Holy Ghost! Extended Disco Dub) – Panthers
07. Communquis – Bostro Pesopeo
08. Reprise – Bostro Pesopeo
09. Jackie Jackie (Junior Boys Dub) – Sally Shapiro
10. Don’t Turn It Off (feat. Qzen) (Brennan Green Mix) – 40 Thieves
11. Return Of Starlight (Invisible Conga People Remix) – Woolfy vs Projections
01. Balearic Incarnation – Dølle Jølle
02. Don’t Turn It Off (feat. Qzen) – 40 Thieves
03. Axis Shift – Lexx
04. Spectacle Wins (Holy Ghost! Remix) – Only Fools And Horses
05. Prostitute Pink – Steve Yanko
06. Tic Toc (feat. Kathy Diamond) – Permanent Vacation
07. Falls (Hercules & Love Affair Remix) – Bostro Pesopeo
08. Someone Told Me – Good Guy Mikesh & Filburt
09. Iridium (Superpitcher Remix) – Lullabies In The Dark
10. Absynth (Marcus Worgull Remix) – Woolfy vs Projections
11. Cambio – Corduba
The compilation Various “Selected Label Works Nr 1” (Permanent Vacation) is going to be released April 24, 2009.